Heating & Air Conditioning Repair Tips
Before You Call for Air Conditioning Repair or Heating Service
Residential Service Calls Only $49.95
Commercial Service Calls Only $89.95
Things to Check Before Calling
The air conditioners in North Texas undergo tremendous pressure due to the heat experienced during the summer. We know after the long, hard winter the last thing you are thinking about is the hot summer but now is a great time to consider having your air conditioning system checked.
We live in a busy world, so most people don't give their AC systems a thought until they fail to work properly. Even simple maintenance procedures like cleaning and replacing filters often go undone. The short-term effects of such neglect can be poor performance. The long-term effects, however, can be a significantly shortened life for your air conditioning unit.
An air conditioner is a very tough piece of equipment. It is engineered to withstand all sorts of abuse and keep on running. This is great in most respects, but it can lead to complacency about maintenance. Like a car, air conditioners need regular tune-ups to run properly.
Without regular maintenance an air conditioner loses about 5% of its original efficiency for each year of operation. This means that the 12 SEER unit that you bought just a few years ago may be functioning like a 9 SEER unit today! The good news is that you can recover most of that lost efficiency through regular maintenance. Studies show that with regular tune-ups a unit will maintain up to 95% of its original efficiency. This means that the cost of an annual tune-up is recovered very quickly in savings on your monthly electric bill and reduced repair costs. A properly serviced air conditioner will also do a better job of dehumidifying your home.
Air Comfort Solutions recommends annual air conditioning check-ups in the spring and furnace check-ups every fall. Although regular checkups will not absolutely guarantee that a unit will continue to work perfectly throughout the season, they will reveal most small problems that can lead to major, far more expensive problems if left unattended.
Few routine chores will pay off more handsomely, both in comfort and in dollars saved, than a simple air-conditioner cleaning. The payoff: Summertime comfort and lower cooling bills. You'll also prolong the life of your air conditioner.
Here are some basic tips:
1. Run your air conditioner for a few minutes now, before you need it. If you wait until the first hot day to discover is isn't working, you'll find yourself on a waiting list, sweltering sometimes for days before an air conditioning specialist can come to fix it.
2. Change the filters regularly. Dirty filters restrict air flow, reducing efficiency and worse case, can cause the evaporator to ice up. Disposable fiberglass filters should replaced. Electrostatic or electronic filters need to be washed regularly.
3. Be sure all access panels are secure, with all the screws in place.
4. Be sure to check that all breakers are not tripped.
5. Clean obvious obstructions such as newspaper, leaves, etc. from around the exterior of the unit.
6. Be sure the thermostat is set in the cooling mode. Just setting the dial below room temperature will not activate the air conditioning if it is set in the heat mode.
7. Additional repairs or maintenance items should be left to the trained licensed professionals of Air Comfort Solutions.